I got a Job! I got a Job!

actually, I now have 2...
[ insert happy dance here ]

1st, I get to talk on the phone for 3 hours twice a week. Ok, so it's more like I listen to the thingy call numbers and wait for someone to pick up so that I can ask them for money :-) that's right people! I'm a TechCaller--watch out you alums...if I call you, you damn well better give me money! on your credit card! (apparently it's much, much cheaper than billing for checks...who knew that paper costs so much these days?)

My first day was Tuesday. I spent the first half of the shift listening to another girl call people and the second calling people. I got 2 people. No, not 2 pledges--2 people. The first one was sitting down to dinner (or putting the kids to bed, I don’t remember) and the second was a very little girl...I'm pretty sure that she didn’t speak English cause I definitely heard some Asian sounding words in there and she couldn’t understand anything but "Mommy"--at any rate, that call ended in me not even getting to talk to the alum :-(

oh well, last night I got rejected! I think it was 3 times! (not counting the thousands of answering machines that I got) silly alums who don’t wanna give money...who cares about the institvte--I want to win bonus prizes for getting people to give me money! :-) I work again Monday night, so we'll see how that goes.


The other job that I got (just got this one the other day, so I don't know when I'll start) is helping out at the Science Club for Girls.....
(A little about them:
Science Club for Girls was founded in 1994 by two Cambridge parents whose daughters were enrolled in public school, as a project of the Gender Equity Committee. Since then, it has grown to 5 school sites in Cambridge, one in Boston, a community center in Lawrence, and two church sites in Newton and Framingham. The mission of Science Club for Girls is to increase the self confidence and science literacy of youth from groups that are underrepresented in the sciences, by providing free programs in experiential learning, mentorship, and leadership opportunities. Girls work with mentor-scientists who model and foster leadership, affirms college as an expectation, and promotes careers in science and technology as goals and options.)

There I get to work on "outreach events and special projects"...in other words I get to have fun with Family Science Kits and events at the Cambridge Science Festival. But, the main thing that I will be doing is that I will have to help 'teach' science to kids...and by that I mean, I get to wonder around and help the volunteers help the kids, play with science experiments, and be the disciplinarian! There shall be beatings! (I wish) Apparently the volunteers are too nice, so I get to be the bad guy and make those kids buck up :-) this'll be fun :-)

Sides, who can say no to science experiments for 4th graders?!?!

No comments: